Apr 8, 2010

Crisis Point



The day started out full of promise, hit a wall of false starts, sagged to a low point of frustration at about 5pm and then ended with a sense of achievement at the close. Yep, shoot day. Well kind of....

Set up the area, experimented with colour choice and the integration of paint retarder to keep the paint from drying and then started to snap away.



Unfortunately, in an effort to keep the paint moving I felt that it was best for me to become more and more animated and in casually flicking paint here and there i ended up with something the resembled a three page flip book. I also encountered problems with the camera and after a few test runs discovered that i had the white balance attuned to the surface in front of the camera- which was of course the light box with fluro lights switched on, this in turn created an over yellowing effect in certain frames.




This just wouldnt do at all...! So after a few more experiments, a little bit of tinkering with the storyline and some TLC support from my film crew, I finished the day with a section of the film complete. I am currently readjusting the overexposed nature of the scene and have fixed this for the final release of the short.






I now understand why paint on glass animation is an alternative technique, its time consuming and the lack of key frames leaves a huge margin for errors, which means retakes which equals money and time wasted in a commercial sense. This does not mean that Im not enjoying the process and the one commercial fault, is the aspect that i have enjoyed the most- the organic quality of the work. I have a basic idea of where the story will take me but sometimes a certain flick of paint or an accidental line of action will take the plot in another direction; which is all ok with me.

I've also had a few more ideas about developing the story further but i'l save that for another post. I'm hoping to intergrate a different medium, possibly two mediums to create an effect that should place the viewer in the POV of the nameless protagonist.

1 comment:

  1. YOU CAN DO IT NAT! I cant wait to see it, its gunna be great!

    ReplyDelete